Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Three Ring Circus, That's Me

“Are you okay?”
“Are you okay?”
That’s all I hear anymore.
They only ask me because of what I do.

They treat me like I’m stupid, or mental, like I don’t belong with the rest of society.
They stare, they giggle, but they don’t really care.
They just need something to entertain them. Well, that’s me, their personal three ring circus.

I feel as though I live in a cage.
Four “walls” all made by bars, so little staring children can stick their grubby hands in.
I’m always there, in my cage, just waiting for the next person to laugh and point.
I want to lash out, but then I’m stared at even more, and punished for what I’ve,done wrong.
I’m wrong to get angry, but they can poke and have their sadistic fun?

I want to stand for my people, and protect them for once, from all the cruelty they put up with.
That’ll be the day.
The day when my people and I can live in peace, or better yet laugh at the people who laughed at me.
The day when I can be...me.

4 comments:

  1. Ok this was so cool, what inspired this poem? It seems really complex and it reminds me a little of the book you're reading right now, about Ivan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome how strong of a piece this was, Liz. I read it first myself (as you know), but hearing you read it made your writing a totally different experience for me. Thanks for sharing it at our open mic. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is just amazing. I wish I can be a good writer like you. I just love how the story get so complex!

    ~ Good day to you ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, good writing comes from the heart. If you write from there, you're all set. You can be a good writer too, you just have to try.

      Delete