Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Untitled Poem #1

I look his way, but he doesn't see me, he never does.
I try to talk to him, but I always turn away.
This game of love is so unfair, I just can't take it anymore.

I have played this game for months now.
He is my prize. They offer him to me, but I know this game too well.
They know about my insecurity, and use it to their advantage.
They set out other girls to discourage me. He entertains them, but always catches my eye and brushes them aside.
The white room where this game takes place is blinding. There is only a slight hill, where he stands, waiting for me.

I see him standing there across the way. I want to call out, but I can't.
The makers of this ghastly game prevent me from talking, because I know they're always listening. "Tut tut, this is a game, she mustn't win this easily." I can hear them say already.
I need some privacy alone with him, but I know I'll never get it.

Everyday I leave this place, broken and sorry. I know that they tease me, but I don't do anything about it.
I walk away, hoping tomorrow will be better. They dangle him in front of me, taunting, encouraging me to talk to him. Every time I rush towards him, they snatch him away from me. So close to me, yet so far away.

I desperately want to get rid of the ache of love. I look towards a hope I will never get. I don't face it. I want to run forwards and suppress the rules and regulations of this game, but that only leads to disasters. I take two steps forward, and take five steps backward. These days get longer and longer, but time is always frozen when I'm around him.

I finally see him alone, without all the traps and plots to hold me back. I am hesitant, but I know that if I don't move quickly, then it will never be like this again.

I surge forward, nervous. I know that I could be loved, or rejected. To play this game forever, I can't comply.

I run to him, and he whips around to face me. I land into him and sob.
I am so happy, I have finally been able to touch him, a first. All I can do is cry and whisper "I love you."

I feel his arms snake around me and hold me tight. "I love you too."
I have finally won this game. I need no more.

2 comments:

  1. I think my favorite part about this poem is everyone can relate to it! I mean really, who hasn't felt this way at one point or another? So cool Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz I love your writing.... It is the best to me and I love it so freakin much I love it Liz!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete